Saturday, April 21, 2012

Recipe: Mexican-Style Cabbage Fry


This is a dish I created to meet the criteria of a three-week diet that I’m on.  The Vegetarian options for the diet protocol leave me a little hungry, so I decided to mix and match a little bit.  I’m not allowed rice, so I used cabbage as an alternative.  It may go a little over the calories I’m allowed for this diet, but surely is far below the calorie count of an equivalent meat and rice dish.

Mexican-Style Cabbage Fry
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
½ onion, chopped
1 can diced green chilis
½ head cabbage, chopped to noodle or rice size
3 – 4 mushrooms, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup Texturized Vegetable Protein (TVP)
Water (to cover TVP)
1 cup vegetable broth
1 tsp Cumin
1 – 2 tsp chili powder
1 tbl cilantro
Salt
Pepper

Cover TVP in water and stir in cumin and ½ chili powder; let sit until reconstituted
In large skillet, heat ¼ cup red wine vinegar.
Add onion & garlic; stir-fry until translucent
Stir in green chilis and cilantro
Add TVP and “brown” it off, like hamburger
Stir in red wine as the pan gets dry
Add mushrooms and cabbage
Stir fry for a until all vegetables are mixed together
Add vegetable broth
Add salt, pepper, chili powder to taste
Cook until cabbage feels “al dente”

Serve with tortilla chips, if desired
Serves about 4

No comments:

Post a Comment