Friday, June 1, 2012

Poem: Desert Rain

Sitting at my desk near the portable swamp cooler, sweating - no, wait - I mean "glistening," I starting thinking about rain.  So, I thought I'd share this poem I wrote in 2008.

Desert Rain

It rained in the desert today
Huge, relentless drops that splashed
Cold upon the glass like liquid diamonds
Watching the clouds build, dark steel in the distance
I wondered if the first sign of monsoon might
Touch us with a humid promise of relief
From the relentless desert sun
I caught my breath and wished for water
So when the wish came true I was not surprised
Emerging from the grocer, nothing could stop me
From my reverie of love for rain and all things that
Fall from heaven like pennies and bright rainbows
Or heavy-duty raindrops landing loud upon my brow
We danced, my daughter and I, across the asphalt
Danced in reverie that the cold promise and the wish
Had come true; others stood leaning on carts or
Against the back wall, away from the water like
Wicked green-girls from the west, afraid
They might melt
It rained in the desert today
I ran and splashed, cold baptism of summer
My daughter and I laughed to see
How mothers pulled their children back under awnings
While we jumped into puddles
And opened our mouths wide to catch the rain

(c) 25 June 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment