Monday, August 17, 2015

Recipe: Fresh and Fruity Protein Shake

It's been a long time since I've posted a recipe. It seems like it was about time to start up again, so I thought I'd share this new one I've created. It may not be particularly original, but none of mine are, now, are they? Here's the story about how I came up with this recipe:

Earlier this year, I lost some more of my weight by starting boot camp style work-outs, along with using a big name-brand, delicious protein shake and diet plan. The work-outs were great, but with my particular medical conditions, I found I couldn't do some of the exercises. So, I brought it all home. I was already doing yoga and hula-hooping every morning. I began to alternate the yoga/hula-hoop workout with the exercises I could do from the boot camp work-out. On those days, I began to add some exercises I remembered from my fitness days of the 1980's. Finally, I began to balance my week by having one yoga/hula-hoop day, a work-out day, then a day focusing on martial arts, and ending with a work-out day and a hula-hoop day. I take Saturdays and Sundays off from the work-outs, though I will bicycle and dance when I have the opportunity.

The shakes were more expensive than my budget could bear. I shifted to eating more veggies and fruits when possible and cutting down on pasta. I kept the regimen of meals the same as I learned with the expensive diet plan: breakfast in the morning, snack mid-morning, lunch, snack mid-afternoon, and dinner. I cut alcohol out of my life, and all but quit drinking diet sodas. It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be to eat right, feel full, and stay within my calorie range, so I decided to try shakes that were less expensive. Let me just say it. "Ugh!" They were not delicious.

It finally occurred to me that I could make my own shakes. At least, I could try...and I was right. They can be delicious and filling as well. All you need is a blender and the ingredients.  Here's one of my favorite concoctions:

*****
Berry-Banana Yum
(enough for breakfast and lunch)

2 cups ice cubes
1/2 cup raspberries
1 cup whole strawberries
1 cup chopped lettuce (romaine preferred)
1/2 cup chopped broccoli tops
1/4 block tofu
1 cup water
2 bananas
Stevia to taste


Place ingredients ice, raspberries, strawberries, tofu, and water in blender. Blend until well mixed. Add lettuce and broccoli, blending. Blend in bananas and Stevia.

Pour into containers.
*****

I drink one right away for breakfast and take one in a covered container to work. I put it straight into the refrigerator so it will be chilled by lunch. The flavor is very berry-banana, with very little (if any) taste of the green stuff.

In all honesty, I have no idea how many calories are in these shakes; however, I feel full and satisfied. Even my sweet tooth is satisfied!

I continue on my weight loss journey, with only 20 pounds left until I reach my goal. Since I began this journey a couple of years ago, I lost and gained a number of times. Since I started this routine, I have not gained anything back, and can say that I have lost a total so far of 50 pounds.


I'm feeling good and feeling strong!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment