Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Recipe: Big Green Meanie Smoothie

Okay, so I have this tendency to call these things "shakes," but they aren't usually as thick as a shake should be, in my mind. So let's go with "smoothie."

I created this new one this morning. Again, I'm sure it isn't all that original, but I did make it up as I went along, so I get to name this version of it. It's really, really green, so as I watched it all blend together, the name "Big Green Meanie" popped into my head. So that's what it is.

This time, I took the time to look up the calories in all the ingredients. This recipe basically filled my blender to the top, and I split the results into three servings - one for my breakfast, one for my lunch, and one for my son to have whenever he chooses to drink it. Each serving has less than 200 calories, and it's extremely filling. So, here it is:


Big Green Meanie Smoothie

2 cups ice cubes
2 cups chopped kale
1 cup broccoli tops (aka florets)
1 cup water
1/3 package tofu
1/4 cup Garden Salad (various lettuces & shredded carrot)
1 large peach, sliced
2 large bananas
Stevia to taste (always optional)

Blend ice cubes, kale, broccoli, and water until the greens are liquified. Continue blending as you crumble in the tofu. Add Garden Salad and peach. When all is blended together, add bananas, about 1/3 banana at a time. Add Stevia to taste, if desired (I like it a little sweeter). Pour into as many containers as desired.

Total calories in the blender = 507, so just divide that by how many containers you choose to fill to get the calories per serving. As I divided it into three equal servings, each serving was 169 delicious, refreshing, and filling calories.

I have been asked if the tofu should be silken, soft, firm, or extra-firm. I happen to be using firm, because that's what was on sale. However, I honestly don't think it makes any difference. I'd say, experiment - see what consistency you like best, and go with that. Or, if you're like me, you'll just go with the better deal.


One serving of my Big Green Meanie Smoothie
Yum! Lunch...


No comments:

Post a Comment