Thursday, September 10, 2015

Recipe: Apple Butter & Fruit Green Tea Smoothie

I haven't posted a smoothie recipe for awhile. Lately, I've been using blackberry green tea as the liquid base in my smoothies, rather than water. The tea is delicious. Unfortunately, not all combinations of fruits and vegetables are delicious. I've tried a few ideas that were good, but not delicious enough to share.

Today, though - today I created one that I think some of you might like. It's thick, smooth, and filling. Here's what you need:

3/4 cup crushed ice
1 Large leaf kale, chopped
1 - 2 Small leaves lettuce, chopped
1/2 cup apple butter
1/4 block tofu (by the way, I tend to use firm, but any consistency works)
1 cup cold blackberry green tea (or any flavor tea you'd prefer, of course)
1/2 cup frozen fruit (in this case, I had a banana/strawberry/mango mix)
Stevia to taste, if desired

I'm finding it easier to get the kale and lettuce blended smoothly if I chop it very, very finely, put it into the blender with the ice and some of the tea, then blend for awhile. 

When it looks like the tiny pieces of leaf are mixed in pretty well, stop the blender and add the apple butter, tofu, and the rest of the tea. Blend until it has a smooth, consistent color throughout. Add the fruit, a couple of pieces at a time. You may need to stop the blender, put in some fruit, and put the lid back on before starting to blend so the mixture doesn't pop out at you and make a mess. When all the fruit has been blended in, add Stevia or other sweetener, if desired. This has a pretty sweet flavor without the added Stevia, actually.

The apple butter gives this a nice, refreshing flavor and a thickness that isn't always easily achieved. This recipe made enough for my lunch. I put it in the refrigerator at work, and when I finally got to it, the smoothie was just as thick and delicious as it was when I taste tested it this morning.

Everything with Kale is Green: Apple Butter & Fruit Smoothie at My Desk



No comments:

Post a Comment