Sunday, September 20, 2015

Recipe: Strawberry Rhubarb Smoothie

The last time I picked up some frozen fruit, I saw the rhubarb and knew that I was going to get them as soon as I could. Since rhubarb needs another fruit with it, I decided to go with the traditional strawberries, because after all, strawberry rhubarb pie is probably my favorite.  I made enough for both breakfast and lunch. Here's what I tossed together:



Strawberry Rhubarb Smoothie

1/2 cup frozen rhubarb
1/2 cup frozen strawberries
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
Cold water to the 2 cup line on blender container
1 banana
Stevia or other sweetener to taste (optional)


Using frozen fruit negates the need for ice, so the fruit flavor doesn't get watered down. I added the banana because it makes the smoothie a bit thicker without adding too much extra flavor.

Keep in mind that my measurements are almost always estimated - I have tendency to toss things in by handfuls and pinches rather than using measuring cups. I let the ingredients blend until they look smooth, then stop the blender for a taste test. (After my experience with the wooden spoon a few weeks ago, I am very careful not to lose a utensil in a moving blender blade!)

Sometimes, after a taste test, I'll add a little more fruit or a touch more sweetener. In the end, the amount of ingredients you use in your smoothie is up to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment